Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Respect

Often times I have demanded respect. I deserve it right? I have told my children to just obey because I am the parent after all! I have heard myself say "you will do what I say because I am the mom". Wow! Did I earn their respect or did I demand it? How wrong I have been. I see now that respect is not something that you demand it is something that you earn.

My husband asked me the other morning who I respected. I told him God. He is the perfect parent and I have grown to respect Him. My husband then proceeded to tell me about something he had listened to Saturday morning that had changed his life. This is what he talked about. When the question was given to him that morning he thought of a lot of people that he did not respect. It became easier to think of people to respect that were not close to him than it was to find someone close. The discussion continued and he began to realize that those that he should respect the most are the ones that are closest to him. His family and those with whom he works. He asked himself the question of what was stopping him from the respect that they deserved. He found his answer in one word it was his PRIDE.

He was humbled and realized that he did actually have a lot of respect for me especially(hee hee) and for all those that were close to him. His parents, his children and his co-workers. How is it that we don't give the respect that is earned by those that are closest to us? Maybe it is a question that we should all ask ourselves. How different the world would be if there was more respect given to those that are around us every day. We would treat them differently and we would be happier I am certain. It would be a better world for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment