Saturday, December 11, 2010

Special Day Gone Golden

I have a daughter who is trying to adjust to Jr High. It is not an easy task but to have a daughter who is mentally in fourth grade trying to do it is very difficult. She has had a rough few weeks but was looking forward to her birthday. I thought about what I could do to make this day even better. I tried to warn her that birthday's at the Jr High were not like the birthdays in elementary school. But non the less she was very excited and anticipated the best. I told my daughter who is in ninth grade to decorate her locker or to find some way to make it special for her. She did!

My plan was intense. I was going to do a "While You Were Out" bedroom makeover for her birthday. I enlisted help from the whole family. We bought a new cabinet from a thrift store and bought chair rail. All of that needed to be painted and ready for "the day". We spent the night painting and making sure that everything was ready. At this point I almost became discouraged and gave up. But with the help of my husband we persisted.

The morning of her birthday I woke up and was discouraged again. I told my husband that I was not sure if this was a good idea. I was not sure it was going to work and that she would even like it. I felt sure in the beginning when the idea came to me but I was not sure at this point whether it would all come together. Dale took courage and supported and encourage me once again.

I had taken the day off from work (which never happens) and planned on beginning after we dropped her off at school. Dale came back and put up the chair rail and then helped us move the newly painted cabinet inside. We worked for hours (Me and several of my children). We stalled her from coming home after school by letting CaLea take her on a special time together. There are a few things that did not get done but we were out of time.

The moment arrived around five when it was time to give her the "birthday present". A new room. They all went upstairs except for her and I (cameras in hand). I told her that her gift from all of us could not be wrapped and is very special. I took her upstairs and covered her eyes as I took her into her new room. I was not sure what the reaction would be but it was wonderful. She could not believe it and we all ended up touched by her reaction. The video tells it all. There are times when our time and efforts are better than any gift that could be bought. Needless to say it was a very special day that turned golden to all of us.

1 comment: